Sunday, January 6, 2013

Blessings and Timing

I was thinking.

I know that can be dangerous sometimes, but not this time.

No, this time I was thinking about blessings, and how certain people get certain blessings because it's what they need for happiness. Nothing dangerous about that.

I know what you're thinking. "Um, yeah? Blessings are supposed to make you happy. If a blessing didn't make someone happy, that person wouldn't consider it a blessing." Yeah, I get it.

But what I think I mean is that God is really good at catering blessings to us.

Maybe that's still too vague. Or I'm just bad at explaining. Or too good at being vague. Or it just doesn't really make sense. This came to me a bit earlier today and I'm still sorting it out. To be honest, this whole post may not make a lot of sense and I may not even end up sorting it all out. My apologies.

What happened is that I was thinking about some of the blessings appearing in my friends' lives right now and I thought, "Wow, I am just so happy for them! God is really taking care of them and making them happy, and I'm so glad that life is treating them well."

And there were warm fuzzies and smiles and butterflies and all good things!

But somewhere in there came this small and unexpected moment where I thought, "I want that someday."

But it was not a jealous thought or me feeling bad about where my life is or anything like that, it was just an oddly placed thought because it was this realization of someday and what that means right in the middle of what felt like something very different. It was this realization that I am genuinely happy for them because they are getting what makes them happy, but some of the things making them happy right now are not things I need right now. Or things I want right now. To make me happy. They're not my next step.

I guess it's saying also that God is really good with the timing of blessings.

I have friends in all different places in their lives. I'm in a different place in my life. I'm not exactly sure where that is right now, but I'm working it out. But the blessings I have received lately fit into this place. And I know that as I work to get myself to the next place God will be there to bless me and offer me guidance.

Because guidance with blessings another thing God is really good with. And that's kind of a blessing in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment